At Steenkamp Physiotherapists we aim to improve all
our patients' overall function, movement and
general well-being. Our focus is very much on the
individual patient, building up a rapport
and working in partnership with them to achieve
their goal of recovering to full functionality, in
activities of daily living and participation of sport or
regain optimal and pain-free movement
Treating any muscle, ligament, tendon, joint or nerve pain by means of manual therapy, strapping techniques, electrotherapeutic modalities, muscle stimulated exercise with electrical stimulation (EMS) and exercise prescription to return to sport or activity
(Mostly) Conservative management, pre- and post-operative rehabilitation of any orthopaedic condition according to newest evidence-based protocols eg of post-operative and / or comments below
- Total knee and hip arthroplasty (seen pre-operatively as well)
- Knee and hip arthroscopies
- Post trauma surgery
- Hand surgery: Carpal tunnel release, De Quverains release, tendon repairs and many more
- Shoulder surgery: Rotator cuff repair, Bankart repair and many more
Neck and Back Pain Management
- Treating any muscle, joint or nerve pain by means of manual therapy (OMT- orthopaedic manipulative therapy) with different techniques (Maitland, Mulligan, McKenzie), myofascial release, dry needling exercise prescription, postural re-training, pain education and ergonomic care
- Chronic pain and education
Headache and Sinus Management
- Treating by means of manual therapy and joint mobilisation with different techniques, myofascial release, dry needling, exercise prescription, postural re-training, pain education and ergonomic care.
Electrotherapeutic modalities like Ultrasound, and Photizo are also used.
Temporomandibular Pain and Dysfunction
- Treating all TMJ or facial related pain by means of manual therapy and joint mobilization, myofascial release (external and intra-oral), dry needling, facial muscles retraining by electrical stimulation (EMS) exercise prescription, postural re-training, pain education, ergonomic care, advice of eating habits and biteplate prescription to decrease pain and regain full range of motion with mouth opening.
- Post-operative TMJ related surgeries treated by electro therapeutic modalities to decrease pain and swelling, to regain full range of motion with mouth opening to resume normal functions with regards to eating and speaking.
Exercise Prescription and Rehabilitation
- Exercise programme specific to activity, sport, including stretching, strengthening (concentric and eccentric), kinetic chain exercises, plyometric and agility exercises, biomechanical rehabilitation and Pilates.
Adult and Paediatric Chest Pathology
- Treating a variety of pathology by means of chest therapy including, postural drainage percussions, vibrations, breathing techniques and exercises and pulmonary hygiene
- Assisting in management and rehabilitation of upper and lower limb amputations. To optimize and maintain muscle strength, length and normal range of motion. Functional re-training will include gait re-education with or without assistive devices and prosthetic devices for the patient to function at the highest level according to mobility category. Advanced rehabilitation and sport specific training is also done. Treatment is provided in conjunction with prosthetist as far as possible to enable a multi-disciplinary approach.